ABOUT US » IQAC
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council advocates the establishment of Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) by all the accredited institutions as a post accreditation quality sustenance activity. After the first assessment, wherein the College was accredited at the B++ Level & institutional score of 83%, Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of Raja Peary Mohan College was established on 17.06.2006. Dr Kuntal Mukhopadhyay became the 1st coordinator & carried out his responsibility from 17th June 2006 to 27th May 2012. Dr Sanjukta Bhattacharyya took over on 28th May 2012 & has successfully steered IQAC till date.
IQAC meeting in progress
|1||Chairman||Dr. Debasish Chattopadhyay||Teacher in Charge, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|2||Coordinator||Dr Sanjukta Bhattacharyya||Associate Professor in Philosophy, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|3||Joint Coordinator||Dr Samir Roy||Assistant Professor in Mathematics, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|7||Teacher Member||Dr Dibyendu Talukdar||Associate Professor in Botany, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|8||Teacher Member||Prof. Pinaki De||Assistant Professor in English, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|9||Teacher Member & Bursar of the College||Prof. Susanta Kumar Biswas||Associate Professor in Mathematics & Member of the Governing Body, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|10||Teacher Member||Dr. Rajrupa Mitra||Assistant Professor in Economics, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|11||Teacher’s Council Secretary||Dr. Santanu Dasgupta||Associate Professor in Physics, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|12||Non-Teaching Staff/Administrative Staff||Basudeb Naskar||Non-Teaching Staff Secretary & Member of the Governing Body, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|13||Non-Teaching Staff/Administrative Staff||Raghunath Sardar||Non-Teaching Staff & Member of the Governing Body, Raja Peary Mohan College|
|14||Student's Representative||Anirban Aich||General Secretary Student Union, Raja Peary Mohan College|
- Planning and Preparations of Proposals to implement the Recommendations of the NAAC Peer Team during the Cycle 1 Visit for Assessment and Accreditation in 2005.
- Ensuring timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic, administrative and financial tasks.
- Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning;
- Overviewing the plans to implement credibility of evaluation procedures;
- Ensuring the adequacy, maintenance and proper allocation of support structure and services.
- Sharing of research findings and networking with other institutions in India and abroad.
Internal Quality Assurance Cell the College has developed several quality assurance mechanisms within the existing academic and administrative system. These are as follows:
- From the beginning the main objective of the cell is to plan and implement quality initiatives and evaluate. It follows its calendar for meetings, quality agenda and maintains its proceedings.
- Placed Plans and proposals for implementation of the recommendations of the NAAC Peer Team visit in 2005.
- It circulates its plan and takes steps for implementation.
- It supports to conduct workshops, awareness programmes, special lectures on quality innovations, Curricula, Teaching-Learning & Evaluation, Research oriented seminars etc. It analyses the feedback received from Students.
- It coordinates with all stakeholders for their opinions and advices for quality sustenance and quality improvement.
- Dissemination of information on various quality parameters of higher education.
- Enforces external Academic And Administrative Auditing by University of Calcutta & Department of Higher Education, Government of West Bengal Committee.
- It Plans and Supports effective implementation for Total Quality management, Curricula development, Teaching-Learning and evaluation, Research, Consultancy and Extension activities for all stakeholders.
- It prepares the Academic Audit Under supervision of the Governing Body.
- It regularly prepares the Reports for AISHE since 2010.
- It organizes and prepares data for all peer team visit since 2008.(State Government in 2008 & 2013 and University for CPE in 2008).
- Documentation of the various programmes/activities leading to quality improvement.
- It collects, maintains and analyses documents and document evidences directly or through the College Office. It prepares the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) and submits it to NAAC regularly in last eight years.
- It analyses the feedback received from all stakeholders and inform the concerned about its outcome for correction and amelioration. It also appreciate & encourage and provide support required by all staff for their and quality sustenance and quality improvement in teaching, Research & administration.
- It has and is continuously working for Development of Quality Culture in the institution.
Decisions of the IQAC have been approved by the management for implementation and how many of them were actually implemented:
Decisions of the IQAC have been approved by the management and implemented
- Physical Infrastructural Development — Separate Dept For all Subjects; Elevator, Ladies Toilet, Drinking water in each Floor.
- Renovation of Students Canteen and Common Rooms, Principal’s office, Student toilet in each floor of the college building.
- Constituting an ICT development sub-committee for upgrading Computer facilities in the college.
- Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning in all departments.
- Construction of a modern Central Computer Laboratory.
- Construction of a Conference Room.
- Extension, renovation and purchase of modern and necessary equipments for all science laboratories.
- Separate computer laboratories for computer application based subjects like Physics, Mathematics and Commerce.
- Transparent and Technology oriented Admission Procedure.
- Customize Software and LAN installation for office work.
- Computer and Internet connection in all department.
- Library Automation.
- Journal and e-journal Procurement.
- Promotion of Research and Publication by Faculty.
- Promotion of Extension activities.
- Dr Tanvir Alam Majhari, IQAC Coordinator and Associate Professor in English, Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira, Belur, Howrah, is the external expert of IQAC of Raja Peary Mohan College. We are enriched by his valuable guidance to prepare for the re-accreditation process by NAAC.
- The students play the role of active learners who help in creating systems according to their needs and requirements. They make suggestions regarding improvement in teaching-learning process, examination system, day-to-day facilities like library services, leisure or canteen services etc. they are also informed about the decisions taken or policies made by IQAC for their welfare through notices & announcements etc. As far as the alumni of the college are concerned, IQAC makes special efforts to involve them in the college programme.
- Representatives of all stakeholders—Teachers, Students, Non-Teaching Staff, Alumni association and Management---- are present in the IQAC team who give their opinions and also convey the work, plan and activities of IQAC to their communities.
- It has been earlier stated that all strategies of IQAC are formulated with consultation of other faculty members. Further at the time of execution of the plans, the staff members and students are involved. As they are with IQAC from the seeding, planting, and cultivating process, this association contributes to the effective functioning of the college.
The institution has an integrated framework for Quality assurance of the academic and administrative activities. They are:
- Strategies has been adopted by institutions is to satisfy the needs of the students from diverse backgrounds including socio-economic backward community complying with all the norms of the Government.
- Mechanisms to adopt Learner-centric education approach, academic planning, improved and use of modern teaching-learning aids and application of ICT resources to make the curriculum interesting and effective for the students to facilitate effective learning outcome.
- Mechanism for the upkeep of the infrastructure facilities and promote the optimum use of the same to maintain the quality of academic and other programmes on the campus.
- Mechanism to introduce skill -oriented Vocational Courses, opportunity of higher education to adult earning students to achieve core competencies & develop entrepreneurial approach to face the global requirements successfully.
- Mechanism to promote research culture, research publication, & professional development faculty members for quality enhancement of the teaching community.
- Mechanism to participate in community services through extension Programmes to develop innovative, creative, value-based education for inculcating social responsibilities and good citizenry amongst its student community.
- Mechanism for participation of the students in various cultural and sports activities to foster holistic personality development of students.
- Facilitating mechanisms like career and counselling cell, Remedial-coaching Classes for socio-economically backward students, grievance redressal cell and welfare measures to support students.
The institution undertakes Academic Audit or other external review of the academic provisions and its outcomes:
- The institution undertakes Academic Audit. After thorough analysis by IQAC and academic subcommittee of the college, strategies are evolved to raise the graph of achievements and widen the horizons.
- The Department of Higher Education Government of West Bengal have Visited the institution to review the academic and administrative provisions of the Institution twice in last eight years –2008 & 2013. They were satisfied and sanctioned grant of Rs. 9.5 Lakhs after 2008 visit and Rs. 5 Lakhs after 2013 visit.
- The Academic Audit Report is sent for vetting by the University and vetted after thorough analysis and verifications of the information which the University have with them.
- The outcomes — such as student intake, results, research etc are analyzed and adequate measures are taken to the institutional activities for the betterment of the institution.
- This audit definitely improves the quality of the institutional programmes. They are geared up toward their goals, for example the review of results brings out the low, average and high performance. Thereafter each student is taken care of according to her capacity. Remedial courses are conducted for the weak students.
- Many times new additions are made in the infrastructure to improve the teaching learning process. Every department keeps on adding equipment, books, journals, software for the benefit of the students.
The internal quality assurance mechanisms aligned with the requirements of the relevant external quality assurance agencies/regulatory authorities:
- The college follows all university rules, UGC guidelines, Guidelines of NAAC and DPI instructions and maintains standards in teaching-learning process, conduct of examination & evaluation. It also avails many welfare schemes offered by these agencies, conducts academic and co-academic programmes as per the calendar of the University.
The institutional mechanisms are in place to continuously review the teaching learning process-- details of its structure, methodologies of operations & outcome:
- Academic calendar & Teaching Plan: The detailed layout of the teaching plan is offered in the Academic Calendar. The plans generally highlight the content and time schedule for completion of the chapters. This enables the Students to know the academic programme and the components to be learnt and to give examination. Moreover, the teachers would know the time frame for teaching – learning process and ensure the total attention for the completion of syllabi and possible revision. The Head of the Department distributes syllabus of the University for each subject taught in the College among the teachers in the respective department. Monitoring and necessary mid-term corrections are made primarily by the Head of the department in consultation with respective Teachers in the departmental meetings.
- Learner-centric education approach through appropriate methodologies like Academic Calendar, Interactive & instructional techniques like audio-visual mode of teaching, ICT based learning, organizing seminars, debates, Lectures by experts from other colleges & University, Inter-departmental lecture exchange, & presentations. This is accompanied by experiential teaching like projects-based learning, Field work, surveys, experiments and practical classes, etc.
- Detail information about the evaluation methods and the Examination schedule is given in the Prospectus from the time of their admission in a course and also in the Academic Calendar at the beginning of a session.
- The Principal regularly meet the HOD and take feedback on the teaching learning progress of each department.
Thus, the systematic planning, organisation and implementation of teaching – learning – evaluation is possible within the total scheme of university schedule. It is rational, realistic and scientific.
The institution communicates its quality assurance policies, mechanisms and outcomes to the various internal and external stakeholders through:
- Regular notification.
- The progress of the students is communicated to the students and their parents.
- Detail information are given in the Prospectus.
- Through the institutional official website: www.rpmcollege.org
- Policies and plans regarding the quality assurance are communicated to the faculty members, especially the newly appointed ones, in the beginning of the session through meetings with the Principal.
- Policies and plans regarding the quality assurance are also communicated in meetings of the different sub-committees and in the meetings with the teacher’s Council, Non-teaching staff and students.
- Students are also made aware of such policies through orientation programmes conducted by the administration and by the heads of departments.
- Policies and plans regarding the quality assurance are communicated to the alumni in the meeting with the alumni.
- Policies and plans regarding the quality assurance are communicated to the University, State Government and NAAC through different reports submitted annually. [Annual Academic Report, Performance Statement and Annual Quality Assurance Reports (AQAR)]
- Ensured heightened level of clarity and focus in institutional functioning towards quality enhancement.
- Ensured internalization of the quality culture.
- Ensured enhancement and coordination among various activities of the institution and institutionalize all good practices.
- Provided a sound basis for decision-making to improve institutional functioning.
- Acted as a dynamic system for quality changes in this Institution.
- IQAC has built an organised methodology of documentation and internal communication.
- Regularly submitted the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) to NAAC.
- The primary challenge encountered is that of resistance—to change. A lot convincing and persistence measures to alter strategies wherever needed has resulted in a lot of time being lost.
- Work beyond duty hours for activities that go beyond teaching by faculty sometimes have created an element of resentment. But the recent incentive structure of UGC (CAS) linking administrative works has made a positive impact.
- The management have not provided any technical support to the IQAC Coordinator yet.
We know that maintaining this momentum of quality consciousness is of crucial importance. It is a common knowledge that no single strategy works on its own. Multiple methodologies should be used at the same time and this should be used to overcome barriers and setbacks that come in the way of Quality sustenance and Quality improvement. In future we shall ensure that all stakeholders of this institution continue to remain fully in this endeavour and together move forward the NAACs agenda on quality assurance.