ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF ARTS » BENGALI
The Department of Bengali was one of the few departments that came into existence at the very beginning when the College was founded way back in 1887. Bengali was also one of two pioneers along with Mathematics, which got the Honours affiliation from the University of Calcutta in 1959. Then onwards, continuous evaluation and high level of performance by teachers as also the general profile of good quality students has taken the Department to its pinnacle of glory. The success rate 93.55%. Dropout rate is about 0%. There are 6 sanctioned full time post for the department. At this moment 5 posts are filled by qualified teachers.
- 3 Year B.A. Honours Course in Bengali
- 3 Year B.A. General Course in Bengali
Academic Curriculum (1.6 MB)
- The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books and journals. Lecture method is normally followed.
- Audio-Visual teaching aids, Computers and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students. Teachers of the department are always available for personal guidance to the students. They are very helpful to the students and encourage them for future prospects
- Teachers regularly participate in special coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST , minorities communities and financially backward class under the UGC Sponsored Remedial Coaching Center for the SC, ST , minorities communities and financially backward class students. In addition students with difficulties are encouraged to have personal discussion outside their class rooms.
- In November 2003, the departmental wall-magazine "Kornika" appeared and every issue is enthusiastically prepared by the students of the department under the guidance of teachers and currently it appears every month.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders but the number of girls are higher than the boys.
Bengali Literature and Theatre, Literature and Women and Rabindranath Tagore are the Priority areas for research. The faculty members have more than 40 publications in various reputed journals/ conference abstracts to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
One Minor Research Projects sponsored by UGC are being carried out in the department. In October 2009 the University Grants Commission has awarded Dr Hrishita Gupta Bakshi, Associate Professor in Bengali a Minor Research Project in Bengali titled "Goto eksho bochore bangle katha sahitya bidhoba meyera - eka meyera".
Almost all faculty members are engaged in research work. Some teachers also take part as Resource person and Paper Presenters in different University and College seminars and conferences. The faculty members have more than 40 publications in various reputed journals/ conference abstracts to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Designation||Phone No|
|Sukla Ghosh Chowdhury||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Gouri Ghosh||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Hrishita Gupta Bakshi||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Apurba Dey||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Malabika Banerjee||Assistant Professor|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.