ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENT » DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
The department of Commerce was established with the Introduction of the Pass course in 1957. The Honours course in the department was introduced in 1970. The department presents a perfect example of teaching and Learning within the parameters of the University of Calcutta regulations. As a result it is surging ahead under the able leadership of its faculty members. Continuous evaluation and dedication has taken the department to its glory. Quality of students is also very good and as a result successful students find it easier to go to M.Com, Chartered/Cost Accountancy courses.
- 3 Year B.Com. Honours Course in Accountancy and Finance
- 3 Year B.Com. General Course in Commerce
Academic Curriculum (374 KB)
- The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books and journals. Lecture method is normally followed. Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes and home assignment are also arranged by the faculty.
- Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students.
- The faculty uses Audio-Visual aids for teaching with Blackboard, Flow Charts, Overhead Projector, LCD Projector, Laptop, ICT as teaching aids
- The Department has a separate computer laboratory as the syllabus is ICT based and there are six computers and internet facility with LAN Connection.
- The department practices innovative teaching through organizing seminars. The department organizes seminars to encourage the students in their studies and prepare them for higher studies. Moreover, it also helps the faculty in their research work and platform for paper presentations and preparation to write and present papers. Moreover, the department tries to improve the learning process and make it student centric by organizing special lectures, seminars and cultural programmes throughout this academic session
- The department organizes Career and Councelling programmes regularly to promote aid to students for placements
- Teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minority communities and financially backward class. In addition, students with difficulties are encouraged to have personal discussion outside their classrooms.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders but the number of boys are higher than the girls. The Trend of Success is almost 100%.
The major thrust areas within the subject in which research activities are being pursued by the faculty members are:
- Work Motivation & Quality in work life
- Work conditions in Manufacturing Industries.
- Role of co-operative bank in Financing Agriculture.
- Reforms in state revenue
In 2009 awarded Dr. Sudhin Kumar Bera by UGC a Minor Research Project titling, "An Economic Evaluation of Self-Help Groups (SHGs) in the District of Midnapur (East) , West Bengal" has been undertaken and the work under the project successfully completed.
The faculty members have more than 7 publications in forms of books and articles in edited volumes, various journals / conference , proceedings, abstracts to their credit in the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Designation||Phone No|
|Dr. Srutinath Praharaj||Associate Professoremail@example.com||+91-9433820610|
|Dr. Sudhin Kumar Bera||Associate Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91-9830308751|
|Dr. Parthasarathi Chatterjee||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||+91-9831063496|
|Prof. Bappaditya Biswas||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91-9735619178|
|Writuparna Bhattacharyya||Guest Teacher|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.