ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE » ECONOMICS
The Department of Economics, since its inception, offered this subject to the students of Humanities stream, but now Economics is considered as a separate social science discipline. It is Included in the B.Sc Honours Course under University of Calcutta. It is noteworthy that in older times Economics and Civics were taught in intermediate arts courses and when affiliation for B.A. came from University of Calcutta, the combined Department of Economics and Political Science was rejuvenated in 1955. However, the two Departments were segregated later on and Economics Honours began to be taught from 1966.The Department has always a good academic record. There are 5 sanctioned full time post for the Department. At this moment, qualified teachers fill two posts. The department is heavily suffering for the shortages of staff and teachers have excessive workload to meet up the requirements for the sake of the students.
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Economics
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Economics
Academic Curriculum (176 KB)
ICT teaching is an essential tool within the Department
- The Department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books and journals. The students and teachers normally consult the Departmental library and the central library which is quite rich in old and new books. Journal subscribed by the college is ECONOMIC & POLITICAL WEEKLY & ARTHA VIJNAN. The faculty members subscribe the journals like YOJANA and ARTHA BEEKSHAN [Journal of Bangiya Arthaniti Parishad(BEA)],& keep it in the seminar library for their use and also students use.
- Computers and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching. Lecture method is normally followed.
- Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged by the faculty. The teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students.
- Study Tour/Field Work: Three departmental study tours have been organised by the Department of Economics 1) 2003 and 2) 2007 3)2010 . In the year 2003 the students of Economics along with the respective teachers of the Department went to visit two villages adjacent to the forest area of Joypur subdivision in the Bankura district to study the standard of living of the villagers there. In the year2007 the students of Economics along with the teachers went to visit two villages adjacent to the forest area of Sonamukhi in the Bankura district to study the standard of living of the villagers there. In the year 2010 the teachers of the Economics department took their students to the medicinal plant garden of the Narendrapur Ramkrishna Mission Ashram to study the commercial prospect of growing medicinal plants and finding their contribution in the sector of Health Tourism.
- Teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minorities communities and financially backward class.
- The teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.
The students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). The students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. The students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders.
- Rajrupa Mitra has submitted her Ph.D. thesis entitled “Textile Industry Induces Water Pollution in West Bengal: An Empirical Appraisal” to the University of Calcutta.
- Mala Bhattacharjee is engaged in her research work in “Health Economics” with the Centre for Economic Studies in Presidency College, kolkata.
- Mala Bhattacharjee is a minor Research Project entitled “HIV/AIDS & its Sustainable Treatment in West Bengal.”, under UGC and got financial assistance of Rs.1,12,000/- (2013-2015)
The faculty members have more than 6 publications in various conference proceedings, edited volumes to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Qualification||Designation||Phone No|
|Mala Bhattacharjee||M.Sc.||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||+91-9830444950|
|Dr Rajrupa Mitra||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91-9836167144|
|Soumitra Gayen||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor|
|Moumita Poddar||M.Sc., M.Phil.||Part Time Teacher|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.