ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF ARTS » HISTORY
The Department of History is one of the oldest in our College when intermediate course was first introduced as early as 1887. In 1955, when the College was affiliated to B.A. programme of the University of Calcutta, History was introduced as an Elective subject in B.A. Pass Course. Although History became a popular subject among the students of Humanities stream, as it was evident from the increasing student strength year after year, the College could not open the Honours course for a long period of time. Finally, good reasons prevailed and keeping in conjunction with growing demands from local students, efforts of the College authorities bore fruit. Honours course was introduced in 2002, after a proper inspection by the expert team from the University of Calcutta. Since then, the department has been trying in many ways to bring about improvements, both qualitatively and quantitatively. Presently there is 1 full-time teacher in the department, ably assisted by 2 part-time teachers and 1 guest faculty.
- Introduction of Intermediate Course: 1887
- Introduction of Pass Course: 1955
- Introduction of Honours Course: 2002
- 3 Year B.A. Honours Course in History
- 3 Year B.A. General Course in History
Academic Curriculum (341 KB)
ICT Classroom of the History Department
Study tour to Ranchi
- The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books and journals.
- Lecture method is normally followed. Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes and home assignment are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students.
- The department has computers with internet Facility.
- The Department has planned to teach through project and fieldwork for Honours Students from this year for the benefit of the students.
- The department organizes seminars to encourage the students in their studies and prepare them for higher studies. Moreover, it also helps the faculty in their research work and provide them with a platform for research paper presentations.
- The students of the department of History takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine quarterly on various issues related to History.
- Teachers regularly participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counselling Cell.
The students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). The students largely come from rural background (low and middle-income group). Students are proficient in both Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders but the number of girls are higher than the boys. The trend of success is almost 100%.
- Dr. Sarmistha Nath: Cultural history and literary aspects related to historical past.
- In 2007 Dr Sarmistha Nath has successfully completed one UGC Minor Research Project titled "Bengali Middle Class in the Period of Decolonization".
- In September 2009, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has awarded Dr Sarmistha Nath a Minor Research Project in Philosophy titled “The Idea of Alternative Governance in Bengali Mind in an Age of Nation Making". She is also presently working on another project titled "The Idea of Alternative Governance in Bengali Mind in an Age of Nation Making".
|Name of the Teacher||Qualification||Designation||Phone No|
|Dr Sarmistha Nath||M.A., Ph.D.||Assistant Professor|
|Monalisa Srimani||M.A.||Part Time Teacher|
|Sudeshna Mallick||M.A.||Part Time Teacher|
|ANIMESH DAS||M.A.||Guest Teacher|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.