ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF ARTS » PHILOSOPHY
The Department of Philosophy is one of the oldest departments of our college. In fact, since the establishment of the college, the department did open its Intermediate Course in 1887. The Pass Course in Philosophy was started from 1955 and the Honours Course in 1961. The department has always a good academic record. There are 4 sanctioned full time post for the department. At this moment, qualified teachers fill two posts. The department is heavily suffering for the shortages of staff and teachers have excessive workload to meet up the requirements for the sake of the students.
- 3 Year B.A. Honours Course in Philosophy
- 3 Year B.A. General Course in Philosophy
Academic Curriculum (201 KB)
- The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books and journals. Lecture method is normally followed. Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes and home assignment are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students. LCD Projectors and computers are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- The department practices innovative teaching through Project and field work, organizing seminars, & Wall Magazine. The Department has planned to teach through project and fieldwork for Honours Students from this year for the benefit of the students.
- The department organizes seminars to encourage the students in their studies and prepare them for higher studies. Moreover, it also helps the faculty in their research work and platform for paper presentations, preparation to write and present papers.
- The students of the department of Philosophy takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine "Social Science Probing" Quarterly on Various issues related History and Political Science.
- Teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders but the number of girls are higher than the boys. The Trend of Success is almost 100%.
Research initiatives being taken to underpin "The Comparative Philosophical Traits of a Man's Psychology, in the World of Freud, Marx and Jung". Also, in the field of Religious Studies to catch "The Multi-facets of the Rich Cultural Heritage of India cutting across Religious Boundaries and in the field of Applied ethics" to understand the ethical issues in the area of Bio-ethics and Social Justice.
In September 2009 the University Grants Commission has awarded Dr Sanjukta Bhattacharyya a Minor Research Project in Philosophy titled "Paradigms of D. D. Kosambi and Mircea Eliade - An exposition on Religion and Myths" bearing financial support of Rs. 1,50,000/-, the maximum possible
The faculty members have more than 12 publications in various reputed journals / conference abstracts to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Designation||Phone No|
|Dr. Sanjukta Bhattacharyya||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||+91-9051284339|
|Soumi Mukherjee||Assistant Professor|
|Chakita Mukhopadhyay||Part Time Teacher|
* Click on faculty name to view details
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are requested not to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.