ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE » PHYSICS
Physics as a separate discipline was introduced from the very beginning, i.e. from 1964. Distinguished teachers adorned the faculty from time to time. At present, the department has four(4) teachers – three Associate Professors, one Assistant Professor. One of them is a guest lecturer of M.Tech at Calcutta University. The academic condition in terms of quality of faculty and learning transfer process is healthy and adequate. All the teachers of the department are sincerely engaged in scholarly pursuits.
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Physics
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Physics
Academic Curriculum (275 KB)
The Physics Computer Laboratory
In the Darkroom of the Laboratory
Students working in the Physics Laboratory
Annual Prize Distribution ceremony
- The Department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. The students and the teachers normally consult the departmental library.
- Well equipped laboratory with basic and advanced facilities, available/acquired over the years.
- The Department has a separate computer laboratory as the syllabus is ICT based. At present there are 9 computers with internet facility provided with LAN connection.
- The teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minority communities and financially backward class.
- The teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counselling cell.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders.
Priority Area of Research in the Department:
- Theoretical Plasma Physics (Study of linear & non-linear waves in multicomponent & dusty plasma).
- Space Physics (Space Weather-Modeling of ionosphere total electron content).
- Nuclear Astrophysics (Study of gross properties of dense steller objects).
Research Supervisor:Ph.D work is going on under the guidance of Dr S.K. Chakraborty in the Department.
- Rajkumar Hajra worked as Research Fellow in the Major Research Project entitled ‘A Study on the Variability of Total Electron Content near the Crest of the Equatorial Anomaly in the Indian Zone’ under Dr Shyamal Kumar Chakraborty, Associate Professor in Physics, Department of Physics. He was awarded Ph.D degree by the University of Calcutta in 2012. He is now doing his Post Doctoral Research in Brazil.
- Research Scholars Satarup Chatterjee, Sourav Majumdar & Sudipta Dey working as Research Fellow in the Major Research Project entitled “Electrodynamical control over the ionization processes near the crest of the equatorial ionization anomaly and beyond” funded by DST, Govt. of India under Dr Shyamal Kumar Chakraborty, Associate Professor in Physics, Department of Physics.
Two Major Research Projects, under Indian Space Research Organization RESPOND program, Department of Space, Government of India :
- ISRO Project Phase I: (Completed) Indian Space Research Organization RESPOND program, Department of Space, Government of India, awarded Dr. Shyamal Kr. Chakraborty a major Research Project titled "A Study on the Variability of Total Electron Content Near the Crest of the Equatorial Anomaly in the Indian Zone" for three years (12.01.2006-11.01.2009) bearing financial support of Rs. 8.62 lakhs which is successfully completed.
- ISRO Project Phase II: (Completed) In 2009 Indian Space Research Organization RESPOND program, Department of Space, Government of India, awarded Dr. Shyamal Kr. Chakraborty a major Research Project titled "A study on variability of post-sunset total electron content and scintillation near the crest of the equatorial anomaly in the Indian zone" for three years bearing financial support of Rs. 9.98 lakhs.
- D.S.T Project: In 2010 the Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India has awarded Dr. Shyamal Kr. Chakraborty a Major Research Project in Physics titled "Electrodynamical control over the ionization processes near the crest of the equatorial ionization anomaly and beyond" for three years bearing financial support of Rs. 54,00,000/-(Rupees Fifty Four lakhs)
The faculty members have more than 25 publications in various national and international refereed journal, conference proceedings, book to their credit which are all available in the department. Dr S. Dasgupta and Dr S. Ghosh Mondal has published a Book on “Advanced Practical Physics – Microprocessor & C language” in 2008. Dr Shyamal Kr. Chakraborty has published 12 Research papers in National/International journals in the last five years. 12 Papers are presented and published in different seminar/symposium which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Qualification||Designation||Phone No|
|Dr Santanu Dasgupta||M.Sc., Ph.D||Associate Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+919433327235|
|Dr Shyamal Kumar Chakraborty||M.Sc., Ph.D||Associate Professoremail@example.com||+91-32-12269588|
|Dr Sugopa Ghosh Mondal||M.Sc., Ph.D||Associate Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91943321670|
|Prantick Dey||M.Sc.||Associate Professoremail@example.com||+919836220124|
|SUKANTA BARMAN||M.Sc.||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+919563666813|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.