ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENT » DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE » PHYSIOLOGY
The Department of Physiology was opened in 1961 as a Pass Course and was upgraded as a Honours Department in 1990. From the very outset, the students of the Department showed remarkable success in academic advancement and the tradition continues even today. The Trend of Success is almost 100% every years with a very low dropout rate. Since 2008 the Department runs a Certificate Course in Medical Laboratory Technology which is a self financed Job oriented course sponsored by UGC. The curriculum is prepared by the faculty members. It is a 1 (one) year certificate course. The Physiology Laboratory is a well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta. Therefore the University has made it a centre for University Practical Examination for Part I, II and Part III General courses every year.
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Physiology
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Physiology
- 1 (one) year Certificate Course in Medical Laboratory Technology which is a Self financed Job oriented Course sponsored by UGC
Academic Curriculum (208 KB)
The spacious Laboratory
Outside the Classrooms
Students during Study tour
- The Department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. The students and the teachers normally consult the Departmental library.
- The Physiology Laboratory is a well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta. Basic and advanced facilities are available with modern equipments for effective learning process.
- Animal House.
- The Department has got Two computers with internet facility provided with LAN connection. Computers and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- Lecture method is normally followed. Over head Projector, slide projector and Audio System used for teaching.
- Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students.
- Study Tour/Field Wok (included in the curriculum): Annual Field Study according to the syllabus is conducted by the Department regularly for Honours and General Students. Annual Project work is conducted by the Department regularly and also Nutritional Survey of the students own family and the families of different communities in and around the college and in other districts of West Bengal is conducted regularly. Detail of the survey reports and field work assignments are attached.
- The teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for the students belonging to SC, ST, minorities communities and financially backward class.
- The teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.
Major thrust areas within the subject in which research activities are being pursued.
- Bacterial Drug Resistance.
- Air Pollution and Child Health.
- Occupational Health and Exercise Physiology
- Neurobiology of depression
Dr BulbulThakur, Associate Professor, Department of Physiology
- She is an approved and recognized Ph.D. supervisor under University of Calcutta. Research scholars are working for Ph.D. degree under her guidance.
- Guiding Rumila Majumder, who is working for her Ph.D. thesis on "Cardio-vascular and respiratory status of workers engaged in different industries in West Bengal". She is registered with the University of Calcutta.
- Guiding Suva Pal, who is working for her Ph.D. thesis on "Studies on Respiratory, Haematological and Biochemical status of construction workers from West Bengal, India". She is registered with the University of Calcutta.
- Guiding Ritabrata Banerjee, who is working for his Ph.D. thesis on "Evaluation of expression of Neurotrophins and their Receptors in rat brain: An analysis of the Molecular basis of Depression". He is registered with the Jadavpur University, kolkata.
- There are two Research Scholars: Somaday Hazra & Sourav Kumar working under him for the Major Research Projects funded by DRDO & DBT, Government of India.
- Dr Amal Chandra Mondal doing a major Research Project entitled "Role of Neurotrophins in Stress and Depression" and got financial assistance of Rs.26,50,000/-from DST, Govt. of India (2010-2013).
- Dr Amal Chandra Mondal doing a major Research Project entitled “Role of MAP Kinase in behavioral model of depression: Effect of chronic antidepressant treatment” and got financial assistance of Rs.17,00,000/- from DRDO/LSRB Ministry of Defence. Govt. of India(2012-2015)
- Dr Amal Chandra Mondal doing a major Research Project entitled “Arresting Pre Fibriller Aggregates of Alzheimer’s Amyloid by Synthetic Antibodies” and got financial assistance of Rs.56,53,000/-from DBT (Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt. of India)(2013-2016).
- Dr Anindita Mondal Majhee doing a major Research Project entitled Occupational health hazards of construction workers from West Bengal, India under UGC and got financial assistance of Rs.1,93,000/-(2013-2015)
- Dr Anindita Mondal Majhee undertook a Minor Research Project entitled “Cardiovascular and respiratory status of workers engaged in different industries and occupation in West Bengal” under UGC and got financial assistance of Rs.1,93,000/-(2009-2011).
- Dr Amal Chandra Mondal undertook a Minor Research Project entitled “Role of Monoamine Neurotransmitters in Learned Helplessness Behavior and Depression in Rat Model” under UGC and got financial assistance of Rs.1,36,000/-(2009-2011).
The faculty members have more than 40 publications in various reputed refereed journals, conference proceedings, edited volumes to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the Department.
|Name of the Teacher||Qualification||Designation||Phone No|
|Dr Bulbul Thakur||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Associate Professoremail@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Anindita Mondal (Majhee)||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Associate Professoremail@example.com||+91-9433910161|
|Dr Amal Chandra Mondal||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Assistant Professor (On Lien)||firstname.lastname@example.org||+91-9432209050|
|DR LABONYA MANDAL||M.Sc, Ph.D||Assistant Professor|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.