ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENT » DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE » PHYSIOLOGY
The department of Physiology was opened in 1961 as a Pass Course and was upgraded as a Honours Department in 1990. From the very outset, students of the department showed remarkable success in academic advancement and the tradition continues even today. The Trend of Success is almost 100% every years with a very low dropout rate. Since 2008 the Department runs a Certificate Course in Medical Laboratory Technology which is a Self financed Job oriented Course sponsored by UGC. The Curriculum is prepared by the Faculty Members. It is a 1 (one) year certificate course. The Physiology Laboratory is a well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta. Therefore the University has made it a centre for University Practical Examination for Part I, II and Part III General courses every year.
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Physiology
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Physiology
- 1 (one) year Certificate Course in Medical Laboratory Technology which is a Self financed Job oriented Course sponsored by UGC
Academic Curriculum (208 KB)
- The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. Students and teachers normally consult the departmental library.
- The Physiology Laboratory is a well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta. Basic and advanced facilities are available with modern equipments for effective learning process.
- Animal House.
- The Department has got Two computer and internet facility with LAN Connection. Computers and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- Lecture method is normally followed. Over head Projector, slide projector and Audio System used for teaching.
- Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students.
- Study Tour/Field Wok (included in the curriculum): Annual Field Study according to the syllabus is conducted by the department regularly for Honours and General Students. Annual Project work is conducted by the department regularly and also Nutritional Survey of the students own family and the families of different communities in and around the college and in other districts of West Bengal is conducted regularly. Detail of the survey reports and field work assignments are attached.
- Teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minorities communities and financially backward class.
- Teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders.
Major thrust areas within the subject in which research activities are being pursued.
- Bacterial Drug Resistance.
- Air Pollution and Child Health.
- Occupational Health and Exercise Physiology
- Neurobiology of depression
One major Research Project Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India
- D.S.T Project: In 2010 the Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India has awarded Dr. Amal Chandra Mondal a Major Research Project in Physiology titled "Role of Neurotrophins in Stress and Depression" for three years bearing financial support of Rs 26,50,000/- (Rupees Twenty Six Lakhs and Fifty Thousand Only)
- In November 2009 the University Grants Commission has awarded Dr. Amal Chandra Mondal a Minor Research Project in Physiology titled "Role of Monoamine Neurotransmitters in Learned Helplessness Behavior and Depression in Rat Model" bearing financial support of Rs. 1, 36, 000/-
The faculty members have more than 15 publications in various reputed refereed journals, conference proceedings, edited volumes to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Designation||Phone No|
|Dr. Bitanbindu Bandyopadhyay||Associate Professor||+91-9903693508|
|Dr. Bulbul Thakur||Associate Professoremail@example.com||+91-9830364507|
|Dr. Anindita Mondal (Majee)||Associate Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91-9433910161|
|Dr. Amal Chandra Mondal||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||+91-9432209050|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.