ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE » ZOOLOGY
The department of Zoology was opened in 1956 as a Pass Course and was upgraded as a Honours Department in 1965. From the very outset, students of the department showed remarkable success in academic advancement and the tradition continues even today. The Zoology Laboratory is one of the best and well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta. Therefore the University has made it a centre for University Practical Examination for Part I, II Honours and Part III General courses every year. The Trend of Success is 100% and the dropout rate is always recorded as 0 is last 5 years.
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Zoology
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Zoology
Academic Curriculum (72.2 KB)
- The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. Students and teachers normally consult the departmental library.
- The Zoology Laboratory is one of the best and well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta. Originally the Space area was: 196.40 m2 which is Extended by 400 sq ft after 2005. Basic and advanced facilities, available/ acquired over the years are: Animal Museum, Laboratory with dissecting facilities,Microscope both Compound and Simple Micro – Microscope, Camera lucida, Oculometer, Stage micrometer , Overhead projector, Slide projector, Epidiascope, Camera for field study, Incubator for tissue processing, Microtome for tissue section, Colorimeter ,pH meter, Digital photo-electric Colorimeter, High speed centrifuge. Tissue homogenizer, Gel Electrophoresis apparatus, Pointer eye piece, Micro-microscope, Projection microscope, Calorimeter, Stage micrometer, Field binocular,Centrifuge (max 3500 rpm), Analytical balance, Single pan balance, Digital pan balance, Refrigerator, REMI Tissue homogenizer (12500 rpm)(vertical and horizontal with power pack)
- Museum of the department: The department has an excellent animal museum with collection of some rare species, bones & foetus.
- The Department has got one computer and internet facility with LAN Connection. Computers and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- Lecture method is normally followed. Over head Projector, slide projector and Audio System used for teaching.
- Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students.
- Study Tour/Field Wok (included in the curriculum): Annual Field Study according to the syllabus is conducted by the department regularly for Honours and General Students. The survey involves study of faunal diversity in diverse habitats of the Indian sub continent wherein we also do research permissible within time limit. Fields study tours are conducted every year at ecosystems like, fishery farms, sea shores, forest etc. Detail of the survey reports and field work assignments are attached.
- Wall Magazine:The students of the department of Zoology takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine on various issues related to Zoology included in the curriculum and advancement the subject outside the curriculum ecosystems like, fishery farms, sea shores, forest etc.
- Exhibition: The students of the department of Zoology take active role every year in college socials to put up exhibition stalls in various issues related to faunal diversity in diverse habitats of the Indian sub continent.
- Teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minorities communities and financially backward class.
- Teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders.
- Entomology – Dr. T.K.Banerjee, Dr.M.Bose(Biswas)
- Entomology/Systematics & Taxonomy - Subhankar Sarkar
- Cytogenetics& Molecular Biology – Sri Shantanu Rana
- Parasitology & Immunobiology-Ms. Bidisha Mondal
- Subhankar Sarkar is presently carrying out PhD thesis on Systematic account of Scarabaeidae of Buxa Tiger Reserve.
- Santanu Rana is carrying out research for PhD theses on Design of nanomaterials for targeted delivery of therapeutic loads into cardiomyocytes both in vivo and in vitro.
- In November 2009 the University Grants Commission has awarded Dr. Maitri Bose Biswas a Minor Research Project in Zoology titled "Insect Faunal Diversity OF Pond banks of a village Paschimpara under GoghatII Panchayet Samiti Hooghly District, West Bengal", bearing financial support of Rs.1,22,000/-.
- In November 2009 the University Grants Commission has awarded Dr. Tarit Kumar Bandyopadhyay a Minor Research Project in Zoology titled "Studies in the Incidents and Morphometry of Hilsa Fish (Tinulosa hilsa)in the selected portion of the upper stretch Hooghly estuary" bearing financial support of Rs. 98,000/-
The faculty members have more than 10 publications in forms of Books and articles in various reputed refereed journals, conference proceedings, edited volumes to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Designation||Phone No|
|U.S. Hazra||Associate Professor||+91-9433677605|
|Dr. T.K.Banerjee||Associate Professor||+91-9830620989|
|Dr. M. Bose(Biswas)||Assistant Professor||+91-9831327187|
|Subhankar Kr. Sarkar||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91-9674445370|
|Shantanu Rana||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||+91-9831802169|
|Bidisha Mondal||Assistant Professor||+91-9432165089|
|Aradhana Choudhury||Associate Professor||+91-9830865731|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.