EVENTS » NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME
NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME (NSS)
Governing Body of Raja Peary Mohan College resolved to open a NSS unit in this college on 12.10.2004. Accordingly, one unit of NSS was opened and got the University affiliation and approval from Calcutta University in 2007. An advisory committee has been formed with the Principal, Dr. Milan Kumar Pal as the Chairman and Dr. Hrishita Gupta Bakshi as the convener or the Programme Officer. There are 200 student members who form the backbone of the activities undertaken in the nearby slum areas recently.
Programme Officer: Dr. Hrishita Gupta Bakshi
Community Service provided by Raja Peary Mohan College NSS Unit:
NSS cell of the Raja Pary Mohan College was established in 2005 but received University approval in August 2007 from the University of Calcutta, with the objective of personality development of the students through community service. Every year many out reach and extension programmes are organized for the benefit of community. During the last academic year (2009-10) the NSS Unit is working with -------------------volunteers (……… male and ……female). During 2008-09 & 2009-10 2 special camps of 10 days each were organized to undertake various activities.
- The NSS units of the college actively participate in the following community services regularly throughout a calendar year
- Cleaning the environment,
- Plantation of trees and plants,
- Literacy mission,
- Community health programs,
- Blood donation camps,
- Prevention of drug addiction and rehabilitation of victims,
- Welfare of women and childcare,
- HIV/AIDS Awareness programs etc
- Sadbhavana rally,
- National Youths’ Day,
- Semiars, Workshops, Lectures, and Cultural Activities.,
- Relief work for victims of the "Aila" Storm in 2009.
- Participation in National level camp in Bhubaneshwar in August 2008 with ten (10) students
- Some Programmes organised in last few years by the NSS unit:
- A health awareness camp among women in the nearby slum areas in 2006.
- Camp with the Physically Challenged Children in September 2007. The camp was organized in the Deaf and Dumb School, located in Makhla, Uttarpara, Hooghly. The student members of the unit spent a whole day with them and learnt how to teach them, how to communicate with them and how they communicate with the so-called normal human being. a glimpse of their creativity through their handicrafts items and a small one act drama.
- A Three Days State Level drama workshop on "Theatre Performance" from 20th to 23rd December 2007 in collaboration with the Performing art cell of the college.
- Annual National Youth Day celebrations by organizing seminars, cultural programmes.
- The unit also undertook the task to make a small garden in the college courtyard. Several plants of flowers and also plants of other varieties are planted. Watering and regular caring of the plants are done by the students’ members of the NSS unit of our college.
- Participation in National level camp in Bhubaneshwar in August 2008 with ten (10) students.
- Workshop on "Solid Waste Management Improvement Project" Organized by Raja Peary Mohan College NSS Unit and Kolkata Solid Waste Management Improvement Project managed by YACHIYO-SENES Group on 11/9/2008 152 of participating students actively responded to commit their services to promote this project in their own families and communities.
- Aids Awareness Campaign by the NSS Unit in the local slumps.
- Annual Promotion of National Integration by the NSS Unit.
- Health, nutrition and education awareness camp in a colony among children of lower income group in the Uttarpara-Kotrung Municipality area in 2010.
- Adult education and literacywith Different NGOs & GOs:
- Total Literacy Drive: The Volunteers of NSS Unit Raja Peary Mohan College regularly visits the primary schools in the slums area of Uttarpara, Hooghly and teaches the socio-economically backward students of the school. The literacy drive has made possible to improve the performance of the students and also promote volunteerism and community work in the field of education and child empowerment.
- In 2006 the inspiring and active effort of Dr Srutinath Praharaj Head of the Department of Commerce of Raja Peary Mohan College, led to the formation of NGO "ALO" especially for the needy and talented students. The teachers of this college willingly became members of this organization and are taking initiative to collect donation from different source to help some talented people to realize their aim to some extent.
- The Teachers of the Institution give free coaching to the needy and talented students needy students in the graduation level in collaboration with the Non-Government organization (NGO) "PRERONA", established in 2007 by the ex students of the college.
- Last but not the least some teachers of this college took the initiative to help a talented and needy student, Sri Santanu Mukherjee to become a MBBS Doctor. In 2005 from a Bengali daily newspaper, they got the news that student from a village in Bankura District got chance in the joint entrance medical examination in National Medical College but was unable to continue his studies for lack of money. The teachers contacted the student through the newspaper and took initiative to make his aim come true. He has completed his studies successfully in this year.