EVENTS » NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME
NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME (NSS)
Governing Body of Raja Peary Mohan College resolved to open a NSS unit in this college on 12.10.2004. Accordingly, one unit of NSS was opened and got the University affiliation and approval from Calcutta University in 2007.
- Dr Hrishita Gupta Bakshi, Associate Professor in Bengali. Unit I (2006-2013)
- Dr Pallab Gayen, Assistant Professor in Chemistry. Unit I (2013-Till date )
- Nilu Halder, Assistant Professor in Botany. Unit II (2011-Till date)
Community Service provided by Raja Peary Mohan College NSS Unit:
NSS cell of the Raja Peary Mohan College was established in 2005 but received University approval in August 2007 from the University of Calcutta, with the objective of personality development of the students through community service. The Second NSS Unit has been sanctioned in 2011. Every year many outreach and extension programmes are organized for the benefit of community. During the last academic year (2012-2013) the NSS Unit is working with 200 volunteers. Extension and outreach programs instil volunteerism and philanthropy in the students. A deeper understanding of and commitment to the community is developed in students. The experience gained through extension and outreach programs helps students make better decisions, adapt to change, improve their self-esteem and better prepare for their career, among other benefits. Such programmes encourage students to develop a lifelong ethic of service to society. The NSS units of the College actively participated in the following community services:
- Cleaning the environment
- Undertaking Literacy mission
- Community health programmes
- Blood donation camps
- Prevention of drug addiction and rehabilitation of victims
- Welfare of women and childcare
- HIV/AIDS Awareness programs
- Sadbhavana rally
- Celebration of National Youth Day
- Seminars, Workshops, Lectures, and Cultural Activities
- Relief work
|Disinfecting the neighbourhood to prevent Encephalitis |
|Taking a survey in the nearby slums
|Giving away art materials to slum children |
|Collecting garbage to keep the environment clean
During 2009-10 2010-2011, 2011-2012, & 2012-2013 special camps of 10 days each were organized to undertake various activities. The year wise activities of the two NSS Units of the College is given below:
NSS UNIT I & UNIT II
- Observation of Yuba Dibas on 3/3/2012 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- Disaster Management Programme on 2/3/2013.
- Sishu Mela.
- Celebration of World Health Day on 7/4/2012 at the adopted slum area Bolio Bagan, Uttarpara.
- Visit of RED RIBBON EXPRESS on 22/7/2012 at Sealdah Station.
- Visit of RED RIBBON EXPRESS on 24/7/2012 at Howrah Station.
- Celebration of Rabindra Jayanti at Raja Peary Mohan College.
- Employability Training Programme in collaboration with TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICE(TCS) from 21/5/2012 to 3/6/2012 at Raja Peary Mohan College.
- Human Rights Education Workshop sponsored by IARF, SAAC, Kerala in collaboration with IARF on 28/7/2012 & 29/7/2012 at Raja Peary Mohan College.
- Celebration of Pre-Republic Day Camp at Calcutta Rowing Club, January 2012.
- Observation of NSS Day on 24/9/2012 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- Award Ceremony on Yuba Dibas on 3/3/2012 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- NSS Special Camp was organized from 22-27 March 2013 at a slum, Bolio Bagan, adopted by the NSS Unit, where several programmes were organized.
- Cultural Activities on 22/3/2013 at Raja Peary Mohan College.
- Nature study programme in collaboration with Eco-Club of Raja Peary Mohan College on 25/3/2013.
- College Cleaning Programme on 26/3/2013.
- Education Awareness Programme on 27/3/2013 at the adopted slum area Bolio Bagan, Uttarpara.
NSS UNIT I & UNIT II
- Participation in Zee News' Aapke Vote Aapke Taaquat programme on 24/04/2011 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- Anti Drug campaign on 21/6/2011 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- Adventure sports programme on 12/8/2011 at Raja Peary Mohan College.
- Observation Of NSS Day on 24/9/2011 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- Participation in Vigyan Jyoti 2012 (celebration of 99th Indian Science Congress) on 28/12/2011 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- National Youth Day Celebration on 12/3/2012 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- Blood Donation Camp Programme on 24/02/2012 at Raja Peary Mohan College.
- Observation of Yuba Dibas on 3/3/2012 at Raja Peary Mohan College.
- Employability Training Programme in collaboration with TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICE(TCS) from 25/2/2012 to 12/3/2012 at Raja Peary Mohan College.
- World Health Day celebration on 07/04/2012 at Child Labour School, Konnanagar, Hooghly.
- NSS Special Camp was organized at the slum, Bolio Bagan, adopted by the NSS Unit, where several programmes were organized.
- Polio eradication programme on 30/04/2012 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- Employability Training programme from 31/5/2012 to 16/6/2012.
- HIV AIDS awareness programme on 27/7/2012 at Sealdah Station area.
- Observation of Death Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore on 07/08/2012 at Raja Peary Mohan College.
NSS UNIT I
- Regular Plantation maintenance programmes of the small garden in the College campus.
- Programme officer and volunteers participated in a seminar on "Rabindranath and Social Work" organized by University of Calcutta NSS Cell on 9/5/2010. Our Programme Officer was the Resource Person in the seminar.
- Celebrated National Environment Day on 5/6/2010.
- Celebrated Sadbhabana Dibas on 0/8/2010.
- Observation Of NSS Day on 24/9/2010 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- Organized cultural completions on singing dancing debates, essay writings, poster presentation on 13th Commonwealth Games on 17/9/2010 & 18/9/2010. Prizes were given on 7/10/2010.
- NSS Special Camp on 23/2/2011-1/3/2011 at the slum, Bolio Bagan, adopted by the NSS Unit.
- Distribution of Stationeries and worksheets among children.
- Daily prayer and meditation programme with the residents.
- Classes and poems, maths, drawing and clay modelling were organized for the children.
- NSS Volunteers conducted a survey on the health and economic conditions of the families of the slum.
- Nutrition awareness camp and preparation of healthy and tasty food in a low budget was organized.
- Health checking programmes for women and children was undertaken where Dr Arnab, a Paediatrician, and Dr Nilima Deb, a noted Gynaecologist, were present.
- Medicinal Plants planting programme was undertaken by the unit in the area.
- Cultural programmes were organized by the volunteers and children of the slum. Token Gifts were distributed among children.
- Solid waste Management programme organized on 1/31/2011 in collaboration with KSWMIP and KMDA.
NSS UNIT I
- Plantation programmes in the College campus.
- Donations and Relief work organized for the Cyclone AILA victims on 25/5/2010.
- Celebrated National Environment Day on 5/6/2009.
- College cleaning Programme was under taken.
- Swine Flu awareness campaign organized in collaboration with a NGO "Sahamarmee" on 22/8/2009.
- Cultural Programmes was organized to celebrate National Integration Day.
- Observation of NSS Day on 24/9/2009 at University of Calcutta Campus.
- Seminar organized on "Swami Vivekananda and Youth" to celebrate National Youth Day on 12/1/2010.
- Women’s Day celebration on 8/3/2010 in collaboration with Women’s Studies Research Centre, Rabindra Bharati University and NGO "Sanhita". A seminar was organized on this occasion on "Women Trafficking and Laws for Women—Problems and Solutions".
- NSS Special Camp was organized.
NSS UNIT I
- Nutrition awareness camp and preparation of healthy and tasty food in a low budget was organized at the slum, Bolio Bagan, adopted by the NSS Unit.
- A camp was organized in the Deaf and Dumb School, located in Makhla, Uttarpara, Hooghly. The student members of the unit spent a whole day with them and learned how to teach them, how to communicate with them and how they communicate with the so-called normal human being. A glimpse of their creativity through their handicrafts items and a small one-act drama.
- Literacy drive undertaken by the Volunteers of NSS Unit in the Makhla GSFP-I primary school for poor children in Uttarpara, Hooghly.
- Students of the unit volunteered to help the blind students of Louis Braille Memorial School for the Sightless in their study.
- Blood test and health awareness camps was organized in Makhla GSFP-I primary school for poor children.
- Blood Donation Camp was organized in the College campus.
- AIDS awareness programme was undertaken in the slum areas near Uttarpara station.
- Ten Girls of the unit were selected to participate in the National Camp at Maharshi Women’s College in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. In the above national camp, Arpita Chakraborty, a volunteer of the College unit stood first in the singing competition. The College stood third in the dance competition among seven states who participated in the national camp.
- Workshop on "Solid Waste Management Improvement Project" organized by Raja Peary Mohan College NSS Unit and Kolkata Solid Waste Management Improvement Project managed by YACHIYO-SENES Group on 11/9/2008. 152 of the participating students actively responded to commit their services to promote this project in their own families and communities.
- 10. Seminar on "National Integration for Social Justice" organized by the NSS Unit on 8/9/2008.
- The then programme officer Dr. Hrishita Gupta Bakshi was selected a member of NSS Cell sub-committee of minutes record of the Calcutta University.
NSS UNIT I
- NSS cell was established in 2005 but received the approval of the University in August 2007 with the objective of personality development of the students through community service.
- A health awareness camp among women in the nearby slum areas in 2006.
- A camp was organized with the Physically Challenged Children in September 2007. The camp was organized in the Deaf and Dumb School, located in Makhla, Uttarpara, Hooghly.
- A Three Days’ State Level drama workshop on “Theatre Performance” from 20th to 23rd December 2007 in collaboration with the Performing Arts Cell of the College.