ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE » CHEMISTRY
The Department of Chemistry is one of the leading department in science stream. It is surging ahead under the able leadership of a dedicated faculty since the college got affiliated to B.Sc in Pass course 1956 under the University of Calcutta and particularly when Honours Course in Chemistry was started in 1966. The Chemistry Laboratory is one of the best and well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta.
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Chemistry
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Chemistry
Academic Curriculum (198 KB)
The newly renovated Chemistry Laboratory
Students being guided by Teachers
Live demonstration by Teachers
Dealing carefully with Chemicals
- The Department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. The students and the teachers normally consult the Departmental library.
- The Chemistry Laboratory is one of the best and well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta. Basic and advanced facilities are available/acquired over the years. Important and exclusive instruments available are: LPG Gas plant with pipe line, Colorimeter, Conductivity meter, Hot Plate Melting Point Bath Micro-oven, Refrigerator, Polarimeter, Potentiometer, Vacuum Pump, PH Meter, Hot air-oven etc.
- The Department has got one computer with internet facility provided through LAN Connection. Computers and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- The Department organizes student seminars regularly in order to encourage the students prepare for higher studies. It also helps them to gain experience required to write and present research papers.
- Lecture method is normally followed. Over head Projector, slide projector and Audio System are also used when required.
- Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for sustained academic interaction with students.
- Study Tour/Field Work: The Department organizes study tours in industries, laboratories etc to gain firsthand knowledge for students annually.
- The students of the Department of Chemistry takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine on various issues related to Chemistry included in the curriculum and advancement on the subject outside the curriculum.
- The students of the Department of Chemistry take active role every year in college socials to put up exhibition stalls in various issues related to Chemistry. Their theme in 2009, "GREEN CHEMISTRY" was particularly appreciated.
- The teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minority communities and financially backward class.
- The teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counselling cell.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders
All faculty members are either engaged in extensive post-doctorate research work or have been registered for Ph.D. work.
- Major thrust areas within the subject in which research activities are being pursued.
- Organic Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry/Waste water treatment
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
The faculty members have publications in various reputed journals/conference proceedings to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Qualification||Designation||Phone No|
|Arnab Kumar De||M.Sc., Ph.D||Associate email@example.com|
|Jaya Mukherjee||M.Sc., Ph.D||Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mausumi Saha||M.Sc.||Assistant email@example.com|
|Pallab Gayen||M.Sc., Ph.D||Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dilip Kumar Dey||M.Sc., Ph.D||Assistant email@example.com|
|Krishnanka Shekhar Gayen||M.Sc., Ph.D||Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ashutosh Pal||PhD||Assistant email@example.com|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.