ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF ARTS » POLITICAL SCIENCE
The Department of Political Science is one of the oldest departments of our college. The journey began when it got the affiliation from the University of Calcutta for the graduate programme in Humanities in 1955. However, Political Science was then part of the Department of Economics as it was known as the ‘Department of Economics and Political Science’, although Political Science was a separate subject. It was but natural that the two departments were ultimately segregated and Honours course in Political Science in our college started from 1966 after it received permission from University of Calcutta. Since then distinguished teachers have been part of the department. At present the department has two full time teachers and two part time teachers. The academic condition in terms of quality of faculty and learning transfer process is healthy and adequate.
- 3 Year B.A. Honours Course in Political Science
- 3 Year B.A. General Course in Political Science
Academic Curriculum (45.8 KB)
The new classroom
Parents’-Teachers’ Meeting at the Department
- The Department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books and journals. Lecture method is normally followed. Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes and home assignment are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students. LCD Projectors and computers are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- The department practices innovative teaching through Project and field work, organizing seminars, &Wall Magazine. The Department has planned to teach through project and fieldwork for Honours Students from this year for the benefit of the students.
- The department organizes seminars to encourage the students in their studies and prepare them for higher studies. Moreover, it also helps the faculty in their research work and platform for paper presentations, preparation to write and present papers.
- The students of the department of Political Science takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine “Social Science Probing” Quarterly on Various issues related History and Philosophy
- Teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders but the number of girls are higher than the boys. The Trend of Success is almost 100%.
- Niladri Bhattacharya: Indian Politics – Local Government.
In September 2009 the University Grants Commission has awarded Niladri Bhattacharya a Minor Research Project in Philosophy titled "Potentiality of Eco-Tourism in Saranda Hills: Challenges and Prospects".
The faculty members have more than 25 publications in various Magazines, journals/ conference abstracts to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Qualification||Designation||Phone No|
|Niladri Bhattacharya||M.A., M.Phil.||Associate firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Somnath Jana||M.A., M.Phil.||Assistant email@example.com|
|Debabrata Sen||M.A.||Guest firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Debarati Das||MA||Assistant email@example.com|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.